Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chapter 8, Question 2

In this situation, I don't believe a death penalty is completely necessary, but I do believe something more along the lines of total isolation from the outside world (prison, solitary confinement etc.) should be incorporated into the lives of killers.

In Exodus 21:12, it is stated that "Whoever strikes a man so that he dies shall be put to death." This verse pretty much states that whoever kills a man should be killed. I believe the death penalty is a bit extreme, but if it works, then the law should adopt the death penalty to prevent murder.

In Romans 12:19, it is stated that "Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." This excerpt says that God will avenge all who have been murdered and will send all murders to eternity in hell for what he or she has committed. The problem with this scenario is that how will that prevent people from killing once he or she has already murdered? Killing everyone on earth and killing one people would ultimately have the same penalty: An eternal afterlife in hell. This doesn't do a justice to me. Action needs to be taken place throughout the course of a murderer's life in order to stop them from killing more than one person.

4 comments:

  1. I think the problem is using Romans 12:19 as a way of dealing with murderers and other offenders on death row is that not everyone is Christian or believes in God. Although I can see the value in leaving such matters in God’s hands, I can also see how this would be troubling to people who do not believe God exists. In their minds, it would be as if there was no justice at all. I don’t know if I approve of the idea of people, no matter how large or diverse a group, deciding who should live or die. But I do think the threat of the death penalty might save the world from certain atrocities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandler,
    I agree with you that the death penalty is unnecessary and prison is a better answer. I personally think that prison is a better solution for criminals because ending their life may be a solution, but I would assume that criminals would want to die instead of being in prison for the rest of their lives. Most people hate the thought of being locked in a cell for a long period of time and to avoid being in a cell, its either don’t put yourself in there or death penalty. Some criminals dread the thought of dying in jail and the death penalty kind of gives them hope of ending their life early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While total isolation from the “outside world” it may seems like easy way out. What would be a punishment toward people who are neglected the innocents of a child. Furthermore, do wrong to go into dead row. Doesn’t “whoever strikes a ‘man’ so that he dies shall be put to death.” Reflect on the intention of the crime? Yet, human justice can be extreme.
    I like the verse, Romans 12:19, it further supports your argument. How do we protect society from not say I will kill at this state. There laws are irrepressible, so they punish at a high degree. While the silver lining is unclear, may I say that may the judicial system needs to be look upon from a closer standing point. IDK…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Chandlers,
    I totally agree with you that giving out death penalty is a good idea and other ways such as jail would be a better alternative for all prisoners and criminals. I like that you quoted Roman 12:19 because it opposes death penalty. I do not think God or any leaders from any other religion will encourage one to kill one another just because they did something really bad. If one kills a criminal, should the one who kill him be killed too? That is just a circle and it is not the best way to solve or stop crimes. Therefore, I think the whole death penalty idea opposes rules of christian.

    Take Care,
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete