Friday, September 7, 2012

Chapter 8, Question 1

I've realized in past experiences that most people who I've argued with try to win the argument without proper sources of information and end up losing the argument because he or she lacks correct information. I've also witnessed situations where someone is trying to win an argument when he or she has no clue what he or she's talking about. I've experienced this situation at my job in the dish room where one of my coworkers was trying to tell me how the machine cleaned the dishes. He was explaining which way was the correct way to put the dishes in and all of his "facts" were going right over my head because one week before the incident, an Ecolab agent (Ecolab is the brand of the dishwasher) was in the dish room telling me, personally, how to correctly put the dishes in. Needless to say, I won the argument. This is just one of many examples of this type of situations I've experienced.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what is inferred in the story of Sherlock Holmes of how opinions are inferior to actual facts. With you, you had first person source telling you how to work the dish machine which in the end gave you the more creditable argument. This further proves that Sherlock Holmes idea is reliable. Without the investigation that Sherlock Holmes went through, innocent people would have been put to jail when it is not fair to them. People would have not known that it was the horse that caused the death of the Straker. Well Chandler, great experience to relate to the story as well.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you won that argument. That situation was probably amusing haha. I wouldn't have been able to argue how dishes are done correctly. Did you tell him about how you know the correct way to do it? He probably would have gotten embarrassed if he had known. I sometimes don't mind being proven wrong when I think I know what I'm talking about, but I actually don't. I try not to end up in one of those situations though, but I like proving someone else wrong. Especially when they spout nothing but nonsense.

    ReplyDelete