Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chapter 3, Question 2

A rhetorical device is the use of euphemisms, dysphemisms, hyperbole, and sarcasm to manipulate and persuade. An example of a rhetorical device that I experienced in the last week or two was when I was just talking to my friends over the internet. I simply stated to them that I have no friends just because I was lonely or something (But really I have no friends) and they understood that by saying "I have no friends," it was a form of sarcasm for actually saying that I have friends but none of them were present. Another form is a Euphemism that I experienced just the other day. On account information on Facebook/ Myspace, you can put your body type as "A little extra" which generally means you're on the chunky side but not obese. A friend of mine who is not "a little extra" but much larger, had said that he was "a little extra." Although we take it as a joke because we know that it's not true and he doesn't actually mean that.

No comments:

Post a Comment